The USDA states that bananas are the country’s, if not the world’s, most popular fruit. Which is understandable; they’re sweet, tasty, so many uses for them, and best of all, they come already prepackaged!
If you struggle with feelings of constant hunger then you may want to pick up some bananas. They are great if you are trying to lose weight or just trying to survive till the next meal! Banana’s are loaded with the type of fiber that helps you feel full for hours and since they are sweet they are great for curbing an out of control sweet tooth.
There is really no end to the benefits and possibilities of bananas but we have narrowed it down to a few of our favorite benefits for you.
10 reasons why you should go Crazy for Bananas!
They are considered to be one of the world’s healthiest foods. And there’s plenty of good reason why they are!
- They’re only 110 calories in a single banana!
- They are fat-free and cholesterol-free.
- They’re high in fiber which improves the function of your colon and helps maintain bowel health.
- They contain about 15% of your daily recommended amount of vitamin C. Vitamin C is needed for to boost your immune system and to support cell health
- They are loaded with potassium (over 400mg per banana). The potassium provides vasodilation (the dilation of blood vessels) properties which lower your blood pressure. Because bananas lower your blood pressure, they are great for heart health! Potassium also helps in preventing the loss of muscle mass and supports the preservation of bone density.
- The high amounts of potassium and magnesium found in bananas help to relax your muscles, helping improve your sleep. Bananas also contain tryptophan that is converted into melatonin and serotonin (the two hormones your body needs to be able to sleep).
- They are natural probiotics. Probiotics are “good” bacteria that live in your gut and help aid in digestion. They are responsible for supporting your immune system and helping prevent obesity.
- They are excellent sources of energy-boosting fruit sugars which make them the perfect snack before or after a workout.
- They contain vitamin B6 which your body needs in order to produce serotonin, which is the “feel good” hormone.
- They contain flavonoids which provide excellent health benefits such as antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties.
Just one banana contains 95 calories, 1.1 gram of fiber, 400mg of potassium, and 0.3mg of vitamin B6. There is absolutely nothing at all bad about a banana!
They’re great in oatmeal, cereal, in desserts, and even on sandwiches! So throw some bananas into your next smoothie and enjoy the benefits all day long!
Here is a smoothie that we made just this morning!
- 1 banana
- 3-5 Strawberries
- 1 handful of Spinach or other greens
- 1-2 cups of milk alternative (Almond, hemp, cashew)
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tbs coconut oil (to help absorb the turmeric)
- 1 packet of organifi (optional) (Use promo code ‘inflowFB’ to receive 15% off!)
- Blend and Enjoy!
Let us know in the comments below how you like to enjoy your bananas and please include your favorite smoothie recipes too!